Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Toxic Release

I was having a "Deafeated Mom" day. You know the kind, those days where kids are arguing, and you don't even care. The dog is continually aiming to walk underneath your feet. One of the cats dragged pooh from the kitty litter onto the floor, which I thought was some burrs or leaves from the back yard stuck to the carpet, so I continued to walk over it until finally, I had enough time to pick it up and realized it was pooh . . . You know this day. Everyone seemed to have a high pitched whiney voice, the voice that actually is like finger nails on the chalk board, I just cringe as soon as they start talking. Anyway, Julia and Jacob were escalating in some kind of argument. If I had to hear "Mom!" "Mom!" MMMMOOOOOOMMMMMMM! one more time, I was going to change my name. So they were arguing, and I heard Julia saying "Stop it, Jacob! Stop it!" "Stop it, Jacob! Stop it!" Ok, times this by 10 . . . 10 more times . . . and 10 times the volume. I just stayed in the laundry room, folding clothes, because I had more use in here at the moment. I tried to justify this by thinking that I was a good mom, letting them work this out on their own. Isn't this how kids establish leadership and surrender in life? The relationships with their siblings? So I just tried to hold my breath and close my ears until it was over. I considered putting my headphones in . . . something I am ashamed to admit that I do during PMS weeks. But then, all of a sudden, Julia let out a TOXIC scream! I think she screamed, "STOP IT!!!!!!!!!" but I don't really know, because the shrill rattled my eardrums. However, following the scream, I immediately felt a release . . . a relief . . . I remembered one of my besites, Kim, telling me (after I had just screamed at my kids) that screaming helps you release toxins. I love that spin on it . . . I actually was a good mom in that moment for letting Julia wail it out! And of course, Jacob was unphased . . . in fact, when I did go in to peek at the scene, he had a grin on his face. Wouldn't you know. Good for you Julia, Toxic Release.

No comments:

Post a Comment